07 May, 2009

Pupillage statistics: London v Provincial

Interestingly, it turns out one of my pupillage providers is less competitive than I had anticipated.

They have just sent me an email telling me that my form has been printed and who will be considering it - which is a nice touch in itself as it gives a warm fuzzy glow of positive progress before the inevitable rejection - but they have also been kind enough to tell people the odds.

There aree roughly 250 applications of whom they will interview 80 people.

Perhaps it's because this is the first time I've applied to London, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I get the impression that regional chambers tend to interview only about 10% of applicants. Whilst one of the reasons my London friends have far more interviews than me is no doubt their excellent CVs (including things like FRU, which we in the -impoverished - 'dark satanic mill' - cities of the North students can only dream of), perhaps part of the discrepancy is because London chambers interview more candidates.

Of course, I am basing this all on a single application - but I would be very interested to hear your thoughts and experiences on this one.

Or, of course, just plan scandal and rumour!

4 comments:

Minx said...

I too, have had a couple of very nice personal emails from chambers welcoming my application and going through the sift process, though none, I must say, were quite so generous as yours in informing you of the numbers involved - my two are leading sets in the capital who will probably see at least 600-800 apps, by my own estimation.As set against the provincial sets, I find those in London quicker more efficient and more responsive throughout the whole process (leading, of course, to the inevitable rejection in the majority) and extremely accommodating when it comes to interview dates and so forth, even when working to a tight deadline.
250 for 80 sounds like good odds to me, though - I hope you get IN there!!!

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who has had a similar letter.

If it is it the same set and its a fluke that the app numbers are so low, I am kicking myself for not applying as it was one I really swithered over.

OR

Have so many people struggled with the PORTAL that applications are down for all sets? I certainly know of a number of people who gave up, or who stopped at 8 or 10 apps.

Only time will tell!

simply wondered said...

i had a letter form a non-olpas set who informed me they have 400 apps for 2 pupillages. nice of them to say but do i care? more interested in whether i get an interview or not.

i claim the prize for the ultimate word verification: inatbar!!!! i kid you not. an omen without doubt.

--- said...

I have to say, I like knowing the numbers - and I do think it is nice of Sets to let us know in case we care - plus, it makes rejections easier for them!

That truly is the prize for best word verification!