28 January, 2008

Warwick IV

Well, I was in little motion heaven this weekend :-)

Round 1: THW allow the teaching of intelligent design in the USA in science classrooms
Round 2: THW allow women to join the front line
Round 3: THW force all people receiving benefits to do work in the community
Round 4: (Analysis) THBT a Pakistan under Musharref is better that under a weak democracy
Rounds 5: THW use brain dead people for medical experiments rather than healthy volunteers

Semi: THW introduce a verdict of Not Proven in rape cases

Final: (wording may be wrong) THW create a duty for companies to protect children from intimidatory, racist or sexual behaviour in online virtual worlds

The only bad thing about the semi was that I couldn't remember what I'd actually written in the blog post on the same topic a while ago...

Round 1 suffered from an unfortunate lack of robot stories. Shame!

Finalists were:
1p, Birmingham
1o, KCL
2p, Middle Temple
2o, Bristol

JLM was best speaker on the tab. The final was won by Middle Temple and I was best speaker :)

Tab to follow.

2 comments:

nought.point.zero said...

Many congratulations! R5 looks pretty cool. I don't get the final though, it looks to me like a) the SQ and b) completely truistic. Obviously I'm wrong, but how and why?

--- said...

The issue became the extent to which such a duty should exist on the companies, or whether parents should exercise care instead.

I believe the original motion was about allowing people to bring prosecution for 'rape' in worlds such as second life.